Lead Software Architect
Yankees, Angels, Eagles, Seahawks, Lollapalooza, Governors Ball, Bonnaroo…the biggest names in entertainment are our customers. We power the tech behind every t-shirt, hotdog and drink sold at these venues, and at a global list of other clients that you just wouldn’t believe. Didn’t think Point of Sale could be sexy? Think again.
Do you know how to Scale web and mobile platforms? Note the capital ‘S’. Appetize is looking for a world class architect to lead our software and platform design into the future. Ideally, you have big names on your resume, like Netflix or Facebook, but what really matters is your ability to define a vision for massively scalable platforms, and rally a large engineering organization to deliver on that plan. This is a critical role, leading web, mobile, and quality engineers to tackle an endless, important feature list at intimidating scale. Imagine Lollapalooza or a hot Yankees game in the middle of summer if you couldn’t buy a beer…unacceptable. The stuff you’ll work on has a very real impact, and our customers will love you or hate you for what you deliver.
You’ll own architecture and technical design across our entire engineering organization. We’ve done an excellent job growing our platforms to this point, but there’s a tidal wave of new business hitting us, and we need to be absolutely confident that our systems will be resilient and highly available. That’s where you come in. You’ll set direction on everything from overall software design, to how we leverage queueing, non-relational data and caching platforms. We need someone who has done it all before, has seen the pitfalls, and knows how to avoid them. We need someone confident and opinionated in their vision, yet is humble enough to slow down and listen to the other really smart people in the building. You should be the kind of leader who understands that engineers can be a proud sort, and that your vision will become theirs much easier if you take time to explain and build consensus, rather than making decisions in a vacuum. Part programmer, part designer, part systems engineer, part coach, part leader…you know that for your vision to become reality, you have to wear a lot of hats, and do it well…and that’s why you love your job.
If that sounds like you, we can’t wait to hear from you!Responsibilities:
- Scale our platforms to handle anything thrown at them
- Lead software and systems design across the entire global engineering organization
- Work with other engineering leaders to see your vision implemented
- Work directly with engineers to review their designs and improve their technical strength
- Collaborate with DevOps on systems design and implementation
- Be customer facing as necessary, building confidence and credibility
- Be available as necessary to troubleshoot urgent issues
- Be a technical thought-leader, constantly improving how we work
- Be approachable and transparent, wear a lot of hats, and always be aware of the big picture of making Appetize great
- 10+ years of overall professional engineering experience
- 5+ years of demonstrable architectural experience in scaling web, mobile, data and systems platforms
- Ability and desire to share technical vision and build consensus
- Strong knowledge of dev tools, quality tools, DevOps platforms, and the latest trends in all three
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, or similar
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and excellent listening skills
- Willing to travel occasionally, including internationally